2019 is a big year. Sure, we can say that about any year, but for me personally, it’s the year I turn 30. That’s why I thought this was the perfect opportunity to align my new year’s goals, intentions, and strategies with the beginning of a fresh, new decade.
My 2019 resolutions are a mix of level-ups from previous successful resolutions, repeats of less-successful past goals, and new practices.
Between wanting to read 30 books, finish all my video games, and maintain regular blog posting, I’d say this is my most ambitious list of resolutions. Still, my goal for 2019 is to live a calm yet productive life — balancing relaxation and efficiency.
The themes of my goals for the year: essentialism, boundaries, and joy.
Here’s how I plan to do that:
MY 2019 NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS
- Continue 9:30-10:30 p.m. bedtime and 5 a.m. wakeup and morning yoga routine
Goodreads reading challenge: Read 30 books in 2019
◦ Read ~2.5 books per month
◦ Balance my preference for personal development books with more fiction and science
◦ Check out my monthly reading schedule for 2019
- Play more video games (3-6 hours a week?)
◦ Finish games in progress
◦ Start unopened games
◦ Check out my list of games to play in 2019
- Get back into listening to podcasts, audiobooks, and TED Talks
- Duolingo: Learn French and a little bit of Italian before upcoming trip to Paris and Rome
- New hobby: maintaining plants (I’ve started with a Echeveria Perle Von Nurnberg and I want to make it my world)
- Essentialism: Prioritize personal values and joy over obligation
◦ Saying “no” to what I don’t want (cutting toxic friendships, declining invites, bailing out of a bad podcast) = having more time for what I do want (surrounding myself with likeminded people who challenge me, quiet time, chipping away at my long to-read list).
◦ In the words of Joshua Fields Millburn: “Why the hell would I want to spend significant chunks of time with someone who doesn’t share similar values or interests? My lifestyle is predicated on certain principles, and thus my relationships—intimate or otherwise—must align with my personal standards.”
Continue to live a life of calm, stillness, space, and time
◦ Get back into regular journalling
◦ Write in gratitude journal once a week, eventually work back up to daily Top 5 gratitudes
◦ Get back into taking more relaxing baths
◦ Continue no social media (I quit Facebook in 2016, never used Instagram beyond blog purposes, and have slowly phased out Twitter, resulting in a quiet mind and scroll-free life)
Strengthen personal boundaries
◦ Minimize socializing to 1 night a week (because look at this list; I’ve got a lot of stuff to do 😜)
◦ When asked for advice, first make sure if there is a serious desire for change and growth as opposed to enabling old patterns via band-aid solutions. Otherwise just nod, listen, and empathize.
◦ Practice slow communication
Continue healthy eating schedule (based on results seen in 2017)
◦ All dairy / meat / sugar by 2:00 p.m.
◦ All carbs before 6:00 p.m.
◦ Only veggies and fish after 6:00 p.m.
- Walk home after work (30 minutes) for exercise, cost-cutting, and decompressing
Do another year of the shopping ban
◦ Continue and finish current shopping ban (ends March 30)
◦ Eventually turn it into a lifetime shopping ban (to save money, to be a more conscious / ethical shopper, to live a life of less)
- Continue constant decluttering (for same reasons above)
- Maintain blog by dedicating one week per month to writing, photo/video editing, publishing, promoting
◦ Publish 1-2 posts every 1-2 months
What are your New Year’s resolutions for 2019? Got any tips to share for the ones on my list? Let’s chat in the comments section below! Happy new year, my beautiful friends! <3
◦ Grey cashmere coat: Uniqlo
◦ Cranberry dress: Bluenotes
◦ Gold booties: Zumel & Co
◦ Felt wide-brim hat: Express
Photos by: @yonim2k